Wirral Leaks has a history of picking up followers from far flung ,exotic places such as Hereford, Sandwell, Bristol , York and Cheshire East – presumably from locals interested in what Wirral Council’s cast offs were up to before they landed on their doorstep. So following on from our York Paving The Way story we are proud to bring you news from St Helens.
Indeed as far back as 2015 we were wondering whether Wirral should be twinned with St Helens when we wrote :
Talking of St Helens politicians by the sound of it Wirral should forget about Reno and make enquiries as to whether Wirral can be twinned with Labour controlled St Helens Council (aka St Hellhole Council according to one of our sources).
Witness recent allegations made against the former St Helens Council leader and now St Helens South & Whiston MP Marie Rimmer who could possibly teach our local political bullies a thing or two about how to deal with dissenters. Rimmer (a great name for a politician) was recently accused of kicking a Scottish independence supporter at a polling booth in Scotland (the case was , er, kicked out this week on a technicality but we understand it may be re-opened) :
Depending on the eventual outcome if the case goes back to court it could be that if St Helens rugby league team need a new prop forward who knows how to kick a conversion they may know where to go.
We feel we need to clarify at this point that we are not kicking Labour while they’re down nationally (if not locally) we just want them (no we NEED them) to be so much better than they are – politically,morally and ethically.
Full story here : Taxi Cuts
However considering the current situation in St Helens it seems we were wrong. St Helens puts Wirral to shame :
- A major Police investigation of serving Councillors going back years (which is more than be said of Wirral where Merseyside Police steer well clear )
- Leader resigned from role and is suspended from the party ( if only the same could happen on Wirral!)
- The Cabinet holder for Growth ( Local Plan) has been sacked from his post as Chief Parliamentary Assistant to the MP ( Sackings? – unheard of on Wirral)
- Interim Leader was due to be challenged at Labour AGM ( Challenged? – ditto)
- A Labour local election campaign which was described to us by a St Helen’s resident as ‘despicable’ in Rainhill (much like the campaign against Green councillor Pat Cleary in Birkenhead & Tranmere)
- Returning Officer gave evidence to the Police which appears to have sparked the further investigations (shame Wirral’s Returning Officer Eric ‘Feeble’ Robinson didn’t give evidence to Merseyside Police on a non-electoral matter concerning Wirral councillors – but then he’s not going to risk his £200K pa paycheck is he?)
- Landslide victory by Independent candidate in Rainhill ( ‘Independents’ don’t get a look in on the insular peninsula )
Which us brings us round to one of our eternal pleas – the need for more independents and the independently minded in local politics. Therefore can we give a shout out to Rainhill independent councillor James Tasker . You could say we’ve taken to Tasker. This is from his Facebook page
I’m Rainhill born and bred. I’m standing as an Independent Councillor for Rainhill in the May elections, the only candidate who lives and can vote in Rainhill. I’m standing as a committee member of the Rainhill Civic Society, a member OF the community, FOR the community. I was a member of the Labour Party until very recently, but the local Party decisions made over the past few years, do not reflect my Labour Party values. They do not reflect your Labour Party values, they do not reflect the values, needs, and potential of our Rainhill community. Our Rainhill Councillors, represent themselves, not you, the people who allow them to make decisions on our behalf. This May, vote for someone who cares about Rainhill, lives in Rainhill, and can vote Rainhill.
And they did!
Dare we suggest you need some of this on Wirral ? For far too long you’ve had a group of local Labour councillors who put the lumpen into lumpenproletariat (that’s a Marxist joke – Pip’s Posse won’t understand a bleedin’ word of it! ) . They are quite happy to turn a blind eye to the excesses and abuses and hyperbole and hypocrisy of their leadership as long as get to play at being a pretend politician. Sure we get a few dissenters from time to time who question the cabal and then they get offered a Cabinet position and suddenly their concerns about how the local Labour group operates suddenly disappear ( yes, you know who you are!)
The day that Wirral is twinned with St Helens we may be tempted to return. Or perhaps not ….